Remember this rule: If you do not have a backup, GO MAKE ONE NOW!
Increasingly, many of my most precious belongings are digital. I'm a packrat (thanks Mom!) but I live out my packrat-fantasies via the digital realm. So I try to keep all my email, photos, music, documents, and so on... forever.
Classes of Data
- (IS) Important and Small - email, tax forms, this website
- (IL) Important and Large - The uncompressed version of home-made Music, Photos
- (RL) Replaceable and Large - MP3s, movies
- (UL) Unsorted Importance and Large - Full machine backups, both laptop and mobile phone
- Unison for IS
- Laptop -> Margaret (local) and Mirabel (offsite)
- Unison for UL of laptops
- My and Beth's laptops -> Margaret (local)
- Rsync for UL of phones (because I can't get unison (yet))
- My phone -> Margaret (local)
- Not automated yet!
- Mirror drives for IL, UL, and RL on Margaret
So the current major hole in my setup is the lack of automation of phone backups, and the lack of offsite storage for all of the "Large" classes.